John Brown of the slave uprising? He already has a song, after all....but, no. a different John Brown. such a common name. but this John Brown was also great in his own right.
1902-1905 At the age of 22, John Brown becomes president of Scarritt Collegiate Institute in Neosho, Mo. Although limited in formal education, and the youngest college president in the nation, he is recognized as a brilliant administrator and scholar. He eventually returns to his previous careers in evangelism and publishing, but he begins to dream of building a school that will encompass a threefold education of young people, focused on head, heart and hand. Southwestern Hall 1919 July- Brown realizes the beginning of his dream. He, his family and a few friends gather in a corn field in Northwest Arkansas to dedicate the family farm as a school for economically disadvantaged young people who are "rich in aspirations, ideals, personality and integrity." The Browns deed their lands, home and printing plant to the new school. August- William Waterhouse begins the first building, Southwestern Hall, on Mr. and Mrs. Brown's farm. Mr. Waterhouse is a retired California contractor who worked with Brown's evangelistic campaigns for a number of years, moving into a town a few days before meetings were to be held and erecting wooden "tabernacles," capable of holding hundreds of people. September 30- One month and four days later, Southwestern Collegiate Institute opens for its first day of classes in its solitary building. As an academy (high school) and junior college, the school begins with 12 faculty and staff members and 70 students. The students help defray the cost of their education by working four hours a day in the various departments of the school. Within the first month, the students publish the first school paper, The Southwestern. December- The International Federation of Christian Workers donates its Federation Publishing Company to the school in December. This gift makes possible courses in printing and journalism. 1920 Spring- The Southwestern Collegiate Institute is renamed John E. Brown College, to increase recognition of the school in Brown's evangelistic circles. The Siloam School of the Bible is added to the Institute in order to provide future ministers, church workers and missionaries. June 1- The cornerstone for the school's first permanent building, the J. Alvin Brown Hall for Men, is laid. Much of the work on the building is done by the students themselves. A gift of $50,000 from the Hon. Jesse H. Jones provides the springboard for the construction. June 4- 5- President Brown delivers the first baccalaureate and commencement addresses for Academy graduates. September 22- 150 students enroll at the college and academy levels. 1921 Spring- The Academy produces six more graduates. Students walk many miles to reach "mission points" in jails, hospitals, nursing homes and churches, and to farm the acres surrounding the school. All meals and food products were grown or raised on College lands. Because of injuries and lack of practice time, the decision is made to drop intervarsity sports and concentrate on intramural athletics. Fall- Dedication of J. Alvin Brown Hall. Male students move from the "Old White" building to their new dorm. October 7- First annual Founder's Day, the predecessor of modern Homecoming celebrations. 1922 July 6- Cornerstone is laid for the California Dormitory for Women, named after the state which contributed the most donations towards the construction. Mechanical Building #1, later named the Arkansas Building, is constructed. It houses a garage, store, auto agency, shops, vocational classrooms and administrative offices. September- JEBC begins its fourth year of operation with approximately 230 students, expanded facilities and a reasonably sound financial condition. Uniforms are required of all students, and are produced during vocational classes in the dress-making factory. Other industries that meet the school's needs while providing vocational training include the dairy, the farms, the broom and furniture factories, and the plumbing, carpentry and blacksmith shops. JEBC also publishes three periodicals: The Ozark American, The Interstate American (a weekly newspaper) and The American Evangelist (the official publication of the Federation of Christian Workers). 1923 May- Geneva Cossel is the first graduate of the two-year college program. Fall- More incoming students arrive at JEBC from Chattanooga, Tenn. than from any other city, in response to Brown's evangelistic campaign there during the previous year. 1924 Spring- Two students graduate from JEBC and 43 from the Academy. Fall- The founder purchases almost the entire community of Sulphur Springs to establish John Brown University, a four-year vocational college for those who can afford its $450 annual tuition. JEBC continues to offer tuition-free education through its vocational requirements. 1925 May- Nine graduate from JEBC, and two graduate from the JBU senior college program at Sulphur Springs. The first alumni banquet is held. Fall- Tuition is tried for first time at JEBC, but is later dropped. 1926 Spring- 13 graduate from JEBC; four receive bachelor's degrees from JBU at Sulphur Springs. Summer- A reorganization of the schools redesignates John Brown University at Sulphur Springs as a "John Brown College and Academy" for female students. The Siloam Springs JEBC and Academy are mostly restricted to males. 1927 January- Brown addresses the opening session of Oklahoma state legislature, promoting vocational education in his speech. California Dorm dedication July 1- The California Dorm is dedicated. Most of its furniture is produced in the school's factory. 1928 Fall- John Brown College (for women) returns from Sulphur Springs to Siloam Springs and is merged with JEBC, thanks to a large number of complaints from the student bodies. Each student is required to assume an obligation for at least a small portion of his or her education by signing a note for $150.00, to be paid after he or she leaves school and is earning an income. Students with little or no money continue to be accepted. 100-watt radio station KFPW (Kind Friends Please Write) is purchased and moved to campus from Missouri. 1929 Summer- First regular summer session offers classes to college and academy students. 1930 May 23- The Alumni Building (later named the Hyde Building) is dedicated, having taken some seven years to complete. It houses the dress factory, laundry, bakery, cannery, extension department and heating and electrical plant. June 20- The laying of the cornerstone for the Oklahoma Building brings 4,000 guests to campus. Special guests include Governor Halloway of Oklahoma and Methodist Bishop Sam R. Hay of Houston, Texas (representing Jesse H. Jones). In spite of the auspicious beginning, the Oklahoma Building is never built, thanks to the detrimental effects of the Great Depression. Summer- The College Bank and Savings Corporation is organized to serve as a depository for college and student funds, as a source of training for students in business administration, and as a hands-on lesson for students on how to use bank accounts. It is the only local bank that remains open to the community through the entire Depression. Radio station KFPW is sold due to poor coverage. Fall-The Julia A. Brown School, named after Brown's mother, opens in Sulphur Springs. 300 students enroll in JEBC and the Academy. The pay-by-work plan is terminated for a three-level, need-based payment program. Helen the First Memorial Building 1931 April 13- A new building, "Helen the First Memorial Building," is constructed to replace the original campus building, the "Old White." The building was named as a memorial to Helen Brown Hodges, the Browns' second daughter. She had been exceptionally active in assisting her father in the work of the schools, and her death is one of the most difficult periods of his life. In addition, hers is the first death in the immediate family as well as on College Hill. Much of the material for the building comes from the deconstructed "Old White." 1932 Spring- The College Bank, unaffected by federal banking controls, is the only bank that serves the community of Siloam Springs through the entire national bank crisis. Vocational education has expanded to over 17 departments. 1933 Fall- University Christian Fellowship begins mandatory campus Sunday services for students and staff. 1934 June 11- The Arkansas State Department of Education grants an unrestricted charter to the newly incorporated four-year John Brown University. JBU was reorganized to come out of debt in the tail end of the Depression. September 1- The articles of incorporation are amended and John Brown University is established with three colleges: John E. Brown College, Siloam School of the Bible and John Brown Vocational College. A high school program is still offered, known as the Julia A. Brown School for Children. 1935 May- The first John Brown University graduating class awards diplomas to 37 graduates: 20 B.A.'s, 10 B.S.'s, seven Th.B.'s. May 16- JBU purchases KUOA from the Fulbright family of Fayetteville, Ark., for $16,000. June 1- JBU dedicates its newest radio station with an all-day program. By the summer's end, JBU also opens a community-wide hospital service in downtown Siloam Springs. 1936 Fall- More than 450 students enroll on the Siloam Springs campus. November- A new transmitter building and radio tower (nicknamed "the Rod of God") are built for KUOA in Siloam Springs, and the radio station is moved to campus from Fayetteville. 1937 April 10- President Brown announces that John Brown University has begun two school plants in California: the Brown School for Girls near Glendora and the Brown Military Academy for boys at San Diego. BMA's 40 acres of training grounds, formerly known as the San Diego Army and Navy Academy, soon become known as "the West Point of the West." BSG, the former Girl's Collegiate Institute, is lauded for its scenery in the foothills of the Sierra Madre. A productive orange grove occupies 18 of the school's 50 acres. Back in Arkansas, the decision is made to merge the Siloam high school with the Julia A. Brown School for Children. Junior activities remain in Siloam Springs to provide training facilities for JBU's education majors. The older students move out to Sulphur Springs at the newly formed Brown Military Academy of the Ozarks (BMAO), also called John Brown Academy. A summer program called Camp Buddy (after John E. Brown Jr.'s nickname) is operated out of the BMAO campus. November- First issue of student newspaper, The Threefold Advocate, is published. 1938 Fall- With the rapidly growing importance of aviation and the imminence of WWII, the decision is made to develop an aeronautical training program. An airfield, hangar, wind tunnel, shop and laboratory are built to house two planes for participation in the Civilian Pilot Training program. JBU's program is fully recognized as a Civil Aeronautics Authority-approved unit, with the government defraying the principle cost of employing two instructors and training 10 young men as pilots. May 12- Jesse Jones Day celebrates one of the school's most important benefactors. More than 5,000 people come to hear Jones, President FDR's "New Deal banker," deliver JBU's commencement address. 1939 Spring- A larger airfield and hangar are constructed thanks to the overwhelming popularity of the aviation program. John Brown Sr. broadcasts his first "Cathedral of the Ozarks" program on KUOA. Summer- The Browns decide to convert their campus home into a University guest center. 1940 January 2- A major fire destroys the main building at Sulphur Springs. BMAO returns to Siloam Springs and remains there until after World War II. BMAO's Junior School remains in Sulphur Springs and uses the buildings not damaged by fire. May 24- Captain Eddie Rickenbacker gives dedicatory address for the second, newly completed JBU airport, located just over the state line in Oklahoma. The Blood Memorial Home Economics Building is dedicated (current location of University Admissions and Financial Aid). The University of Arkansas-Fayetteville notifies JBU's registrar that it will accept transfer students on their individual merits. 1941 January 1- The JBU "Master Builders" campaign is launched by Mr. Brown, asking for $1 from each person who becomes a Master Builder member. Mail pours in from 47 states, Canada, Central and South America, New Zealand and the Hawaiian Islands. 1942-1945 World War II begins. The school's strong support of the war effort means that 175 military cadets will receive flight training at JBU, and male enrollment drops to merely 11 young men at the war's end as students leave to serve their country. Virtually all faculty and staff physically capable of serving volunteer for the service. 48 former students are lost in combat, while over100 cadets from BMA (San Diego) serve in various branches of the military. BMA is the only Honor military academy west of the Rockies and the only school in California with the U.S. Army's military service rating. In 1944 the school breaks the honor record for the year (90.5 as opposed to the average Honor grade of 80 points). Dr. Brown related that when the announcement was made at BMA, bedlam broke loose, and the only reason the roof remained intact was because the boys could not kick it off! 1945 May- Following WWII, there is a groundbreaking for the Cathedral, the first of a three-building "Memorial Group" in memory of the John Brown Schools' war dead. Mrs. Emily G. Biddle and Mrs. W. A. Davis, two mothers whose sons were lost in the war, take part in the ceremony. The contractor responsible for the lower portion of the building also builds an outdoor swimming pool, the Hundred Stairs, and pours the first paved campus roads. 1946 JBU joins North Central Accreditation liberal arts study. In a New York Times article on "Who's Who In America," John Brown of Arkansas' photo is printed as the representative for all clergy and school leaders. 1947 February 10- JBU's Mechanical Building #2 burns to the ground. Several Army buildings from Fort Worth are obtained as replacements. The main building on the campus at Sulphur Springs is restored, and BMAO returns to Sulphur Springs. A third Californian school, Southern California Military Academy, is purchased in Long Beach. John Brown Sr. with John Brown Jr. 1948 April 2- John E. Brown Jr. becomes president of John Brown University at age 26. Like his father before him, he is the youngest college president in the country. KGER, a 5,000-watt radio station in Long Beach, California, is purchased as part of the endowment. 1949 Vocational training is reduced from 15 hours to 10 hours weekly. John Brown Jr. 1951 The Brown lands in Sulphur Springs are presented by Dr. John E. Brown Sr. as a gift to Wycliffe Bible Translators, which he has followed closely since its founding. The Academy is moved back to Siloam Springs, but because of the growth of JBU, the decision is made to consolidate BMAO with BMA in San Diego. The girls from BMAO are encouraged to enter the Brown School for Girls in Glendora. 1952 Construction of the campus library, second in the Memorial Group, begins after an anonymous funding gift. 1953 April 12- The KUOA-AM and -FM studios are moved to the third floor of the Cathedral, though the building is not yet completed. Mechanical Building #1 is remodeled to become an administrative center and is renamed the Arkansas Building. The Academy program in Arkansas is completely terminated. 1956 April 4- The Library building (today's Engineering Building) is dedicated. June 1- Jesse Jones of Houston dies. He was a faithful supporter and close friend of Brown and his work for over 50 years. 1957 February 12- John E. Brown Sr., dies in Leucadia, Calif. April 28- The Cathedral sanctuary is completed, and the Cathedral is dedicated. 1958 April 12- The Science Building is dedicated, which completes the Cathedral "Memorial" group. Fall- Intercollegiate athletics begin with the foundation of the men's basketball team. 1961 May 24- A greatly expanded and modernized version of J. Alvin Hall is rededicated during Commencement exercises. JBU puts its general education core curriculum into effect the coming fall. 1962 March 29-The North Central Association grants regional accreditation to John Brown University. July 27- The first Broadhurst Village duplex is dedicated. 1964 December 5- Formal opening of the new women's residence, South Hall (later renamed Mayfield Hall). 1965 April 24- The dedication of the new Physical Education Building, later named in honor of Murray C. Sells. 1969 The first Staley Distinguished Christian Scholar lecture series comes to the University, and JBU offers its first Summer Missionary Project. 1970 Over 760 students enroll at JBU for the fall semester. 1972 JBU's teacher education program is accredited by NCATE. Mabee Student Center dedication 1973 April 14- Mabee Student Center is dedicated. Guests include Paul Harvey Sr. and Senator Mark Hatfield of Oregon. 1974 The University adds associate degree programs to its services, and the board of trustees adopts a new policy allowing students and faculty to attend churches of their choice within the local community. The Arkansas Building is razed. 1976 "Fulfillment of A Dream" fundraising program begins (the goal is to raise $5 million in five years for JBU constructions). The Sager Cabin, in its original 1844 location, is added to the National Register of Historic Places. 1979 October 19- Investiture of John E. Brown III as John Brown University's third president. Fall- The third and final wing of Mayfield Hall is dedicated. 1980 November 14- The Learning Resource Center Complex is dedicated. The line of buildings formed by the LRC and the Mabee center hold administrative offices, the cafeteria, the library and various departments. 1981 The former Library becomes the Cathedral Engineering Building. 1982 The flagpole entrance plaza is dedicated, and a time capsule is set inside the monument to be opened during the school's 100th school year. 1983 The top floor of the Cathedral is remodeled for the Social Studies and Art departments. Business students sponsor their first Free Enterprise Week, with featured guest speaker Sam Walton (founder and chairman of Wal-Mart stores). The International Christian Service Scholarship is funded to help foreign-based students attend JBU. 1984 President John Brown III is elected to the board of the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability. 1985 The board approves a $20 million capital campaign, "A Call to Greatness." The Walton Foundation establishes a tri-university scholarship program for Central American students, designating JBU as one of the program's participants. J. Alvin Dorm is renovated once again, covering the central courtyard to form an atrium for large gatherings. 1987 A new scholarship fund of $1 million is announced for the children of missionaries. Over 40 students receive awards in the program's first year. A new electronic carillon is donated and installed. 1988 The first "Paul Harvey Journalism Lecture" is held, featuring Paul Harvey Sr. and Paul Harvey Jr. The Walton Lifetime Health Complex is dedicated as a health center for the campus and the community. December 1- J. Vernon McGee passes away. The Bible expositor of "Through the Bible" broadcasting fame was a friend of Dr. Brown Sr. An endowed academic chair (for the head of the Biblical Studies department) is designated in his honor. December 1990 Brown Bulletin featuring Paul Harvey and Sam Walton 1989 The $1 million Cathedral renovation program is launched with a gift from an anonymous donor. June- 233 former JBU students are in missionary service on six continents, 136 of whom are overseas. 97 alumni serve in the U.S. with their spouses. 1990 January- The first McGee Scholar is appointed. Summer- The first two townhouses are built for upperclassman residency. Four more are to be added: two during the summer of 1992 and two during the summer of 1994. 1991 February- KLRC increases power to 6,000 watts, becoming the primary Christian FM radio station in Northwest Arkansas. September- JBU experiences the largest enrollment in its history with over 1,000 students. 1992 Retention rate is at an all-time high (94 percent) as the lower levels of the Cathedral undergo refurbishment for the Music department and the lower auditorium. September 29- John E. Brown III announces plans to resign at the end of the 1992-93 school year. 1993 Fall- George F. Ford serves as the fourth President of John Brown University. October- The Advance Degree Completion Program is implemented. Designed for adults with two or more years of prior college education, the University offers classes in Springdale, Fayetteville and Siloam Springs. Dr. Lee Balzer delivering inaugural address 1994 Spring- Dr. E. William George, alumnus and longtime friend of JBU, serves as interim president following Dr. Ford's departure. A. LeVon ("Lee") Balzer is selected as the fifth president of John Brown University. The John Brown University Archives are officially established. 1995 April- The first graduates of the Advance Degree Completion Program participate in University commencement exercises. July 3- JBU's first graduate level courses for a M.S. in Counselor Education are offered through the division of Teacher Education, as approved by North Central Accreditation. September- The Advance program is extended to Fort Smith, Ark. Campus communication is revolutionized by the introduction of electronic mail (email). December- Revival of mid-year graduation exercises, for traditional and Advance Program graduates. 1996 For the third consecutive year, JBU is named one of the top 10 regional liberal arts colleges in the south by U.S. News and World Report. The University also places in the top 10 in the discounted price category of the Best Value rankings. October- The Advance program opens in Little Rock, with classes beginning in November. 1997 September 8- Official notification of accreditation of JBU's engineering department is received from the Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET). Two new majors — International Business and Digital Media — are introduced, both of which will quickly place amongst the top 10 majors at JBU in terms of student popularity. 1998 August 4- The construction management program receives accreditation from the ACCE (American Council for Construction Education). JBU has the second-oldest construction management program in the United States and is the only private Christian university to offer a four-year CM degree. August 27- The Soderquist Center for Business Leadership and Ethics is formally recognized at a special luncheon. Fall- 1,458 students enroll at JBU. Through generous anonymous donations, the Center for Relationship Enrichment (CRE) is established at JBU to target the improvement of family life at JBU, regionally, nationally and throughout the world. 1999 January- Master of Science in Leadership and Ethics is approved by North Central Association, with classes to begin in the coming fall semester. May 18- JBU is included in America's Best Christian Colleges 2000. July 28- JBU hosts annual meeting of the American Scientific Affiliation. The primary speaker is Dr. William Phillips, co-winner of the 1997 Nobel Prize in Physics. Fall- JBU celebrates its 80th anniversary by adding bachelor's degrees in Political Science and Business Information Systems. October 22- JBU is named to the Templeton Honor Roll in the Templeton Guide ("Colleges That Encourage Character Development"). 2000 January- JBU successfully exceeds its "Campaign 2000" fundraising goal by over $7.2 million. Funds generated will apply towards the construction of science and campus community buildings and support the Soderquist Center, the CRE and JBU's scholarship endowments. February 24- The school receives a $322,000 Teagle Grant towards its new faculty support program, the Institute for Learning Enhancement (TILE). April 6- Groundbreaking for the new Pat and Willard Walker Student Center and Dorm takes place on the JBU campus in Siloam Springs, scheduled to open the fall of 2001. July 28- The KUOA tower, landmark of JBU and Siloam for 65 years, is removed. The new 450-foot replacement tower serves both KUOA and KLRC. August 24- Groundbreaking for the new science building takes place, scheduled to open spring of 2002. Fall- Enrollment at John Brown University is tallied at 1545 students for the 11th Day reports. September 15- KLRC (101.1 FM), John Brown University's contemporary Christian FM station, begins broadcasting internationally via its Internet radio station. 2001 Fall- JBU restarts its speech and debate team. By year's end, the school's debaters have received national recognition on several levels. April 17- The Soderquist Center brings former Israeli Prime Minister and author Benjamin Netanyahu to Northwest Arkansas. Mr. Netanyahu addressed all of campus at a heavily-secured chapel service, and also served as the keynote speaker at a private luncheon for national executive leaders. April 26- KLRC is named 2001 Radio Station of the Year for small markets at the 32nd Annual Dove Awards in Nashville, Tenn. It wins the same title two more times in the next five years, and remains the only college-owned and -operated station to have received this honor. Fall- 11th Day reports show a 139-student increase in enrollment in the past year. 2002 February 24-JBU music students Derek Dewey and Paul Tharp take first place honors at the Arkansas State National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS) competition, in the young adult men and freshman men categories, respectively. May 14- The JBU SIFE team is the 2nd-Runner-Up to Semi-Finals for the 2002 National Exposition, as well as one of 15 finalists in the "Teach a Child About Business" Competition. Walker Student Center exterior September 27- A dedication and ribbon-cutting ceremony is held celebrating the new Walker Student Center, which will provide space for student development, counseling services, the CRE, student activities, the bookstore, post office and a new "California Café." December 12- The JBU Cathedral Choir performs their 60th annual Christmas Candlelight Service, attracting thousands of visitors as usual. 2003 Spring- Even as the school opens its new Bell Science Hall, the Arkansas Biomedical Research Infrastructure Network (BRIN) awards JBU a two-year grant for undergraduate research and a new faculty position. April 4- The Maranatha Clock Tower is dedicated during the JBU Board of Trustees' spring session. May- The Cathedral Choir replaces its traditional national spring break travel schedule with an international tour to Northern Ireland. The program is such a success that the Irish tour becomes a biennial event. September- JBU takes its highly successful Advance program to southern Arkansas by establishing a center in El Dorado. The Siloam campus hosts the Southwest Conference on Christianity and Literature, featuring bestselling author Kathleen Norris as keynote speaker. 2004 Art Building lobby January 12- The former Cathedral Science building is renovated and opens its doors as the Arts & Digital Media building. January 19- The first of JBU's annual chapel services in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day is celebrated with Alan Murry's emotional delivery of King's "I Have a Dream" speech. April 12- JBU receives a grant from the U.S. Department of Education's Title VI Undergraduate International Studies and Foreign Language Program for Project Campus Globalization. The project will help JBU internationalize the current curriculum and improve foreign language instruction. April 22- Ground is broken for the Soderquist Business Center, to be located on the site of the former California and Catalina buildings. The building will house the business division and the rapidly expanding Soderquist Center for Leadership and Ethics. June 7- JBU hosts the annual conference of the Association for Christians in Student Development (ACSD). North Hall August 18- The doors of JBU's newest dorm, North Hall, open to students for the first time. Dr. Charles W. Pollard delivering his inaugural address October 8- Dr. Charles W. Pollard is formally invested as JBU's sixth president. The formal ceremony includes speeches from Janet Huckabee (alumna and Arkansas first lady) and Dr. Hudson Armerding, (former president of Wheaton College). December 22- After extensive consideration, John Brown University agrees to sell KUOA to Cherokee Broadcasting, Co., owned by Dewey and Mitchell Johnson. 2005 Men's Basketball wins 2005 NAIA Division 1 National Championship March 22- John Brown University's men's basketball team wins its first basketball national championship, making JBU the first Arkansan institution to win the NAIA Division I men's basketball national title. April 20- The US Department of Education grants JBU funding to start its Student Support Services program for academic mentoring, tutoring and counseling. June 2- For the 9th consecutive year, John Brown University's chapter of the Alpha Chi National Collegiate Honor Society is named a "Star Chapter," placing it in the top 15 percent of national chapters. August 19- JBU steps up two places to rank sixth in the Southern Region of the Best Comprehensive Colleges-Bachelor's, according to the 2006 U.S. News & World Report's "America's Best Colleges." August 25- The Advance Program opens a new educational center in Bentonville. JBU now offers degree-completion programs in eight sites across Arkansas (including Siloam Springs, Springdale, Fort Smith, Little Rock, Hot Springs, Harrison and El Dorado). December- JBU's virtual campus tour for prospective students is awarded the highest rating — four stars — by CampusTours.com and is selected as their feature tour on their website for a month. The project was created by Chad Weaver ('05) as his digital media senior project. 2006 January 12- The Willard and Pat Walker Charitable Foundation pledges $500,000 to JBU's Endowed Scholarship Fund to benefit students in the Biblical Studies Division. The Walker Foundation gift will be matched with $500,000 from JBU's $10 Million Challenge campaign to create a $1 million endowment. This Walker Endowment fund will provide significant scholarships to 15-20 students each year beginning in the Fall 2006 semester. February- Senior Brandon Cole, a guard for the men's Golden Eagles basketball team, ends his collegiate career with a record-setting 527 career three-point shots made, giving him more career three-pointers than any player in the history of intercollegiate basketball (NAIA & NCAA). He also set the all four-year college record for the most consecutive games (120) in which a three-point shot was made. Cole's accomplishments were featured on ESPN as well as other local and regional media outlets. April- Dr. David Vila, assistant professor of religion and philosophy, is awarded a Fulbright Scholar grant as a lecturer/researcher at Yarmouk University in Irbid, Jordan. During his time in Jordan, Vila will also conduct archeological research on the transition from Byzantine to Islamic culture in northern Jordan. May- JBU and Kanakuk Kamps announce a partnership in a unique program, providing youth workers with the opportunity to earn a graduate degree in youth and family ministries while interning at Kanakuk Kamps in Branson, Mo. September- Enrollment passes the two thousand mark for the first time, at 2,081 students for the fall of 2006. The announcement of student loan default rates also shows that JBU has the second lowest numbers in Arkansas of delinquent students in loan-repayment programs at 0.6 percent. The national rate is 5.1 at the time. JBU attributes its unusually low default rate to the character of its graduates, who are both willing and able to repay student loans. 2007 January- Faculty from the Division of Education work overtime training area teachers in TESOL methods, and then use their earnings to create the "Dr. Roger Iddings Endowed Education Scholarship." Thanks to a matching grant, the Iddings project created a $100,000 endowed scholarship for education students. February- The Center for Relationship Enrichment is awarded a $2.7 million federal grant to support research and development of healthy marriages in Northwest Arkansas, which currently suffers one of the highest divorce rates in the nation. Over the next five years, these funds will be used to impact over 13,000 couples in six counties. March- JBU's Speech & Debate Team members are crowned state champions over all Arkansas Universities. Two weeks later, the team places 10th in the national Pi Kappa Delta forensics tournament. April- Three teams from JBU's business division place in the top six at the Donald W. Reynolds Governor's Cup, taking home awards for first and second place as well as the technology award (amounting to some $35,000 in prizes). Students created a business plan for a new product and presented the plan to a panel of judges. July- Almost 200 undergraduate and graduate students, faculty and staff participate in summer study abroad and missions programs, representing nearly 10 percent of JBU's student population. Student groups traveled to Jordan, Ethiopia, Germany, Austria, Northern Ireland, the Netherlands, England, India, Spain and Morocco. August- JBU climbs two more spots in The U.S. News & World Report college rankings to reach fourth place in the Baccalaureate category in the southern region. November- Thanks to a grant from the Environmental Protection Agency, JBU faculty and students begin to develop a "green" slow-sand water filtration system to be used in developing nations. The researchers hope to install their first system in Santa Cruz, Guatemala. December- KLRC enters its second month of celebrating "random acts of kindness" through its Christmas Wish campaign, which is swift on the heels of the highly successful "Pay It Forward" program. Both programs have seen hundreds of lives changed in Northwest Arkansas by strangers' acts of generosity. 2008 January 26- The school hosts its final home swimming tournament for its female athletes. While the male swimming team and the school's diving program were discontinued in March 2005, the women's team continued to compete for a few extra years. Among the reasons for discontinuing the program is the lack of regional competitors within JBU's athletic conferences. Fall-After 30 years, golf was brought back to JBU to replace women’s swimming as a collegiate sport. August- A $5 million lead gift for a performance art center was given in August of 2008. Bill and Donna Berry donated the gift and the performance art center was named after them: the Bill and Donna Berry Performing Arts Center. October- Former interim president and board of trustees member Dr. E. William (Bill) George died Monday October 20, 2008. According to The Republican Herald, survivors include his wife Mary Eva; a son, Eric, a daughter, a daughter-in-love, Cindy, grandson and granddaughter, Ryan and Sarah George, granddaughter and grandson, Lindsay and Monty Alexander, great-granddaughters, Sophia and Nyla George; nieces and nephews. 2009 Spring- The Bill George Arena, named postmortem for former interim president Bill George, started with a lead gift of $500,000 from the Willard and Pat Walker Charitable Foundation. Both Arvest and Liberty Bank made donations of $25,000. Groundbreaking took place on September 2, 2009, and the dedication was during Homecoming 2010. Fall- The Bill and Donna Berry Performing Arts Center was finished for the fall semester and the first performance in the Berry Performance Arts Center was “Seven Brides for Seven Brothers”. Also, during the 2009 – 2010 school year, JBU started using a new logo. The new logo consists of a shield split into four sections, three representing the head, heart, and hands and the fourth section depicting the Cathedral. Dividing the four sections is a cross representing Christ Over All. The circle in the center is a reference to the design of the Cathedral plaza. 2010 February 2- President Pollard announced an $8 million lead gift toward a new engineering building. The rest of the finances would be paid for by the Capital Campaign, which would increase it from a $100 million goal, to a $110 million goal. Ground was broken on August 16, 2010 . March 6- The JBU Men’s basketball team won their first conference tournament, earning them an automatic spot in the NAIA national tournament. Fall- After 23 years, cross country returned as a sport with Matt Pearson as head coach. 2011 April 2- The engineering building was named the Balzer Technology Center after former president Lee and Alice Balzer. The Center opened for the 2011 fall semester April- A $2.5 million gift was donated to JBU to transform the old engineering building of the Cathedral trio into a second art building. The new building will contain drawing and painting studios, video editing studios, a gallery, and a sound recording booth. Summer- Former president, John Brown Jr., died on June 3, 2011 while recovering from hip surgery. He was 89 years old, two years younger than the school. Fall- Begun in 2005, the “Keeping Faith” campaign had a lofty goal of raising $100 million by the start of the 2012 school year. The campaign was kept secret until October 8, 2009, when President Pollard announced it to the public. By that point, $62 million had raised with $14 million in pledges, leaving only $24 million left to raise in three years. After receiving an $8 million lead gift towards the Balzer Technology Center, President Pollard increased the campaign goal from $100 to $110 million. At the start of the 2011 school year, it was announced that the campaign had not only finished a year early, but with $8 million more than the goal. September 14- JBU was ranked first out of 99 universities and colleges for the best overall regional college in the south in “U.S. News and World Report: America’s Best Colleges.” 2012 March 30- The remodeling of the old Cathedral engineering building is finished and is opened as a second art building. It was dedicated on March 30th and both art buildings were renamed Windgate Visual Arts East and West after the Windgate Charitable Foundation of which John Brown III is chairman. Spring- Construction of both the Simmons Great Hall and North Slope apartments was announced after an anonymous lead gift of $4 million. July 2- JBU achieved zero landfill status. Thanks to the removal of dumpsters and the partnership with the recycling plant in Siloam Springs, JBU no longer contributes to a landfill, which saves the school money. This has been a project 20 years in the making, headed by Steve Brankle for the last 16 years. October 1- The JBU Swing Society became the first student club to allow dancing on campus after being approved by SGA. Fall- KLRC upgraded its tower from 6,000 watts of power to 100,000 watts of power. The power increase necessitated a move from 101.1 to 90.9 on the radio dial. 100,000 watts is the most watts a radio station is permitted by the Federal Communications Commission. For a map of the before and after coverage, see the Threefold Advocate -- October 4, 2012 issue. The upgrade went into effect on February 18, 2013 North Hall was renamed “Hutcheson Hall” after the major donors of the project. 2013 February- it was announced that the J. Alvin residence hall would be renovated. In February, an anonymous donor gave $3 million towards the $5 million project. The renovation will proceed in two stages. The first stage began in May of 2013 and consisted of renovating the southeast side of the dorm, while the side facing Walker would stay open for students. The second stage took place in mid-November when the students in the unrenovated half moved over to the newly renovated side and workers started renovation work on the second half. June 21- the old KUOA radio station/ graphic design building was demolished. Fall- Both the North Slope apartments and the Great Hall opened for the 2013 fall term. The Great Hall is used when extra space is needed for student dining and for special events, and built as an extension of the Kresge dining hall. The two North Slope apartments house 40 students each and are located on the slope next to the townhouses. 2014 Fall- The fully renovated J. Alvin opens up for students at the start of the fall semester. Over the summer, construction finished the north side of the building and refurnished the atrium and the basement. The planters in the atrium were removed and a rock climbing wall was added in the basement. JBU announces formation of College of Education and Human Services, bring Education together with the Graduate Counseling program and moving undergraduate nursing, psychology, kinesiology, and family studies into the department. 2015 January 21- JBU announces Campaign for The Next Century, with a goal to raise $125 million before the school’s centennial in 2019. August- JBU welcomes 456 new students, the largest incoming class ever. 2016 April 28- JBU announces renovation project for Mayfield Hall. August 15- The new Health Education Building is dedicated.